Daily US Times: All six Premier League teams, popularly known as ‘Big Six,’ involved in the European Super League have now withdrawn from the competition.
Manchester City were the first Premier League teams to pull out from the ESL after Chelsea had signalled their intent to do so by preparing documentation to withdraw.
The other four sides – Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham – have all now followed suit.
After the ‘Big Six’ withdrew themselves, the Super League said it would reconsider “the most appropriate steps” to reshape the project.
The 12-team Super League was announced on Sunday which sparked a widespread condemnation.
Manchester City confirmed they have “formally enacted the procedures to withdraw” from the proposed league.
Liverpool also said their involvement in the breakaway league “has been discontinued”.
Manchester United laster said they had “listened carefully to the reaction from our fans, the UK government and other key stakeholders” in making their decision to not take part in the proposed breakway league.
In an open letter to their fans, Arsenal apologised for their decision and said they had “made a mistake”. The clud added that they were withdrawing after listening to them and the “wider football community”.
Daniel Levy, the chairman of Tottenham, said the club regretted the “anxiety and upset” caused by the proposal.
Chelsea also confirmed they have “begun the formal procedures for withdrawal from the group” that they only joined “late last week”.
Aleksander Ceferin, the president of Uefa, welcomed the reversal, adding: “They are back in the fold now and I know they have a lot to offer not just to our competitions but to the whole of the European game.
You may read: European Super League a ‘spit in the face of all football lovers’, says Uefa