Daily US Times: On Friday, President Joe Biden said that Donald Trump’s “erratic behavior” should prevent him from receiving classified intelligence briefings, a courtesy that historically has been granted to outgoing presidents.
Asked in an interview with CBS News what he feared if the former president continued to receive the briefings, Joe Biden said he did not want to “speculate out loud” but made it clear that he did not want Trump to continue getting them.
Biden said: “I just think that there is no need for him to have the intelligence briefings.”
“What value is giving him an intelligence briefing? What impact does he have at all, other than the fact he might slip and say something?”
Jen Psaki, White House press secretary, said earlier this week that the issue of granting Trump intelligence briefings was “something that is under review.”
Some Democratic lawmakers, and even some of Trump administration officials, have questioned the wisdom of allowing Trump to continue to be briefed.
Susan Gordon, who served as the principal deputy director of national intelligence during Donald Trump administration from 2017 to 2019, in a Washington Post op-ed last month urged Biden to cut off Trump.
Days after a violent pro-Trump mob laid siege to the US Capitol as lawmakers sought to certify his defeat in last November’s election, Gordon wrote: “His post-White House ‘security profile. Any former president is by definition a target and presents some risks. But a former president Trump, even before the events of last week, might be unusually vulnerable to bad actors with ill intent.”