Daily US Times: Extremist group Boko Haram on Tuesday claimed responsibility for abducting hundreds of boys from a school in Nigeria’s northern Katsina State last week. The latest attack is one of the largest such attacks in years, raising fears and concerns of a growing wave of violence in the region.
After the gunmen with assault rifles attacked Government Science Secondary School in Kankara Friday night, more than 330 students remain missing, although scores of others managed to escape.
Garba Shehu, a spokesman for Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari, said the government and the attackers are negotiating the fate of the boys.
“The kidnappers had made contact and discussions were already on, pertaining to the safety and return” of the children to their homes, the spokesman said.
Officials did not reveal whether the negotiations are with Boko Haram or another group.
Katsina Governor Aminu Masari said security agencies “deployed for rescue operations have also informed us that they have located their position.”
The Daily Nigerian said it received an audio message from Abubakar Shekau, leader of the Boko Haram, claiming the abduction, although there has been no independent verification of its authenticity.
The Islamic extremist group has carried out mass abduction of students in Nigeria before. The most serious attack was made in April 2014, when the extremist group abducted more than 270 schoolgirls from their dormitory at the Government Secondary School in Chibok in northeastern Borno State.
About 100 of the girls are still missing.