Daily US Times: Texas police have opened a criminal investigation into the deaths at the Astroworld festival on Friday.
At least 8 people died and scores of people were injured after a crowd surge on the opening night of the music event in Houston, Texas.
The victims were aged between 14 and 27 and the identities of some of them are expected to be released on Sunday
Police are also investigating reports that someone in the crowd had been injecting people with drugs.
The incident began around 21:15 on Friday when panic broke out as the crowd began to press towards the front of the stage during the rapper Travis Scott’s headline set.
Officials said, as the crush began causing injuries to the audience, panic grew and the casualties quickly overwhelmed the on-site first aiders. Some 300 people were treated for injuries such as bruises and cuts.
The police investigation into the tragedy in the music festival will involve the homicide and narcotics divisions, and will review video from the scene to find out the causes of the surge and what had prevented people from being able to escape.
Several concertgoers had to be revived with the anti-drug overdose medicine, including a security officer who, according to police, appeared to have an injection mark.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said: “We do have a report of a security officer… that he was reaching over to restrain or grab a citizen and he felt a prick in his neck.”
He added: “When he was examined he went unconscious. He was revived and the medical staff did notice a prick that was similar to a prick that you would get if somebody is trying to inject.”
You may read: Eight killed after crowd surge at US music festival