Daily US Times: US officials have warned that a major cyberattack campaign uncovered this week poses a “grave risk” to the government, the private sector and critical infrastructure.
The US Treasury and Commerce departments were among those attacked by the massive hacking campaign.
The US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (Cisa) said thwarting the attack would be “highly complex”.
Many suspect the Russian government is responsible for the cyberattack, but Kremlin has denied the claims as “baseless”.
Cisa said in a statement on Thursday that government agencies, critical infrastructure entities and private sector organisations had been targeted by what it called an “advanced persistent threat actor”, beginning in at least March this year.
Cisa said the actor behind the hacks “demonstrated patience, operational security, and complex tradecraft in these intrusions”.
The agency did not identify or disclose who was behind the attack, which organisations and agencies had been breached, or what information had been stolen or exposed.
Meanwhile, US President-elect Joe Biden said cyber-security would be “top priority” of his administration.
Mr Biden, who will take the oath to the office in January 20, said: “We need to disrupt and deter our adversaries from undertaking significant cyber-attacks in the first place.”
“We will do that by, among other things, imposing substantial costs on those responsible for such malicious attacks, including in coordination with our allies and partners,” he added.
Several US government agencies have already reported to have been attacked in the hacking campaign, which has been described as “significant and ongoing.”