Deadly Florida condo demolished over safety fears

Deadly Florida condo demolished over safety fears
Source: NBC NEWS
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: The remaining section of a partially collapsed apartment block near Miami, Florida, has been demolished over safety concern as a tropical storm approaches Florida.

Explosive charges were used to bring down the last standing part of Champlain Towers South on Sunday night. Before that, the bloc had been evacuated.

Part of the block suddenly collapsed on 24 June. Twenty-four people are known to have died and 121 are still missing.

Within a few hours of the demolition, crews resumed the search for victims.

Rescuers are now hoping to be able to get into the apartment block’s underground garage, which they could not access safely before, and get a clearer picture of any voids that may exist in the rubble.

No survivors have been pulled from the rubble of the building at the site in Surfside since the first few hours after the structure’s collapse.

The demolition process was brought forward after concerns were raised over the approaching Tropical Storm Elsa, which could reach Florida on Tuesday.

The town’s Mayor Charles Burkett said on Sunday that there was a danger that strong winds could bring down additional debris and endanger the lives of search crews.

The Mayor said demolition experts would be able to control how the block fell after demolished, and that the explosion could “potentially open up a third of the pile [of rubble]” for emergency teams to access.

Meanwhile, the existing rubble was covered with a tarpaulin to protect it from any dust or debris caused by the collapse.

You may read: Demolition of Miami site brought forward