Daily US Times: The huge container ship that blocked the Suez Canal in March and created a massive disruption in global trade – has passed back through the narrow waterway without incident.
The Suez Canal Authority (SCA) said the Ever Given was among a convoy of vessels sailing from the Mediterranean Sea to the Red Sea.
The ship, one of the largest in the world, had been offloading its cargo in Europe and is now en route to Asia.
It was refloated after a major six-day rescue operation that led to the death of one person.
The ship then impounded for 3 months by the canal authority while a compensation deal was agreed between the Ever Given’s owners and Egypt.
In a series of tweets, the SCA said the Ever Given was escorted through the 193km canal by two tugboats and senior SCA guides.
The cargo ship was one of 26 ships that travelled on Friday from north to south through the canal, the SCA added, while 36 ships sailed in the opposite direction, hailing the waterway as the “shortest and fastest navigational route linking the east with the west”.
The Ever Given had been delivering its 18,300 containers to Rotterdam, Felixstowe and Hamburg and is now travelling to China.
The 400m-long ship became wedged across the Suez after running aground amid high winds on 23 March, blocking it for hundreds of ships and disrupting global trade.
Following its release, the SCA sought compensation for the ship’s Japanese owner Shoei Kisen for the cost of the damage to the canal’s banks, salvage operation and other losses.
The terms of the deal were not disclosed but Egypt had eventually settled on a $550m demand.