Daily US Times: Dozens of foreigners – including Americans and Britons – have flown out of Afghanistan in the first such flight since US military left the country.
On Thursday, a charter flight of the Qatar Airways landed in Doha, the capital of Qatar, with a second flight due on Friday.
Antony Blinken, US Secretary of State, urged help with evacuations during a recent visit to Qatar.
Hundreds of Afghan citizens who had helped the US forces in the two-decades long war were unable to get out in last month’s US airlift.
According to report from Reuters news agency, 113 people were on the plane.
Dominic Raab, UK Foreign Secretary, said 13 UK citizens had arrived in Doha, and thanked Qatar for facilitating the flight.
The White House released a statement confirming that Americans had flown, and also thanked Qatar, saying the flight was the result of “careful and hard diplomacy and engagement”.
The statement said the Taliban had been “businesslike and professional” in helping the Americans fly out.
The Netherlands also confirmed that 13 of its nationals were on board, while Canada said 43 of its citizens were on the flight.
Qatari special envoy Mutlaq bin Majed Al Qahtani described Kabul international airport as operational and said it was a historic day for Afghanistan.
The flights are the first to leave with foreigners since the chaotic and rushed US military-led evacuations finished last month, following the Taliban takeover of the country on 15 August.
You may read: Ashraf Ghani apologises for fleeing Afghanistan