Five-year-old boy allegedly raped by group of children on remote beach

Five-year-old boy allegedly raped by group of children on remote beach
The five-year-old boy was allegedly raped earlier this month.
3 Min Read

Daily US Times: Police have said that a five-year-old boy was allegedly raped by three children in northern Australia earlier this month.

According to a spokesperson for Queensland Police, the Five-year-old boy allegedly raped on a beach in the remote Queensland town of Napranum at about 7 p.m. on July 1.

The police spokesperson said the alleged offenders — boys between the ages of 10 and 13 — “will be dealt with under the provisions of the Youth Justice Act”.

On Friday, Queensland Police Commissioner Katarina Carroll described the incident was an “absolute tragedy.”

The alleged rape of the five-year-old boy was so violent the five-year-old required emergency medical treatment and was airlifted to Cairns Hospital, some 800km away.

According to the report of The Australian, the boys accused of the rape have been taken into custody, while the 800-strong community has banned them from returning to the town,

Carroll told reporters: “Sadly, yes, we did investigate that. It’s being dealt with, we’re working with the community. It shouldn’t happen and it’s tragic.”

The police commissioner added that police were working “with the victim, the families and the offending children.”

Five-year-old boy allegedly raped by group of children on remote beach. Source: Google map

Napranum is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community that’s home to about 1,000 Indigenous people on the northwest coast of Cape York peninsula.

The town is about 500 miles (800 kilometers), or a 10-hour drive, from Cairns — the nearest major city.

Napranum was long considered one of Queensland’s most disadvantaged communities, though economic opportunities have improved over the past decade, ABC News has reported.

A 10-year-old girl was raped by nine men aged between 13 and 25 in Aurukun, a town 25 miles south of Napranum.

The case sparked outrage across the country after the perpetrators were given suspended sentences. The judge in the case didn’t sentence the accused men to prison time in part because she said the girl – who had mild intellectual disability – “probably agreed to have sex with” them. The court also found that some of the perpetrators had been ‘victims’ themselves.

The Australian reported a source at that time quoting: “There are big arguments about how this happened.”

“It is creating big problems in the town. It is not the first time something like this has happened,” the source said to the Australian media.

Community members said the latest disturbing allegations have torn several families apart and resurfaced the wounds from a shocking sex crime that happened 15 years earlier.

You may read: IS girl Shamima Begum can return to UK to fight citizenship