Daily US Times: The death toll has risen to five after the collapse of an apartment block in Miami, Florida, authorities say.
Daniella Levine Cava, Miami-Dade Mayor, said the number unaccounted for has now dropped to 156, with three more of the recovered bodies identified.
She told reporters: “Our top priority continues to be search and rescue and saving any lives that we can.”
Early in the morning on Thursday, part of the building collapsed while many residents slept.
The cause of the collapse remains unclear yet.
But on Saturday, an engineer’s report from 2018 was made public, which highlighted “a major error” in the original design of the seafront Champlain Towers. The report said the fault prevented water draining away from the base of the building.
President Biden tweeted that he had offered “assistance as needed” to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis.
He wrote: “My heart is with the community of Surfside as they grieve their lost loved ones and wait anxiously as search and rescue efforts continue.”
Teams have been using drones, specially trained dogs and machines in their efforts to find survivors. Rescue efforts were briefly hampered on Saturday after a fire broke out underneath the rubble.
The missing include people from Latin America and Israel, according to reports. The foreign ministry of Paraguay said six of its nationals had been registered as missing, including relatives of the country’s first lady.
You may read: US ‘has no explanation’ for UFO sightings