Daily US Times: French officials say the attacker who killed three people in Nice on Thursday, is a Tunisian man and only recently arrived in Europe.
The suspect, Brahim Aioussaoi, 21, had an Italian Red Cross document, issued after he arrived last month by a migrant boat to Italy’s Lampedusa island. The attacker was shot by police and is in a critical condition.
Police said one of the victims at the Notre-Dame basilica in Nice was “virtually beheaded”.
President Emmanuel Macron labeled it as an “Islamist terrorist attack”.
The President of France said the number of soldiers being deployed to protect public places – such as schools and churches – would rise from 3,000 to 7,000. Anti-terror prosecutors have opened an investigation about the attack, and France has raised its national security alert to the highest level.
Brahim Aioussaoi was heard repeatedly shouting “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest) before being shot by police, according to the city mayor.
A Koran, a 30cm (12-inch) knife and two telephones were found on the attacker, French chief anti-terrorist prosecutor Jean-François Ricard said.
He added: “We also found a bag left by the attacker. Next to this bag were two knives that were not used in the attack.”
The prosecutor said the attacker is in critical condition in hospital.
Speaking after visiting the southern city of Nice, Mr Macron said: “If we are attacked once again it is for the values which are ours: freedom, for the possibility on our soil to believe freely and not to give in to any spirit of terror.”
The President added: “I say it with great clarity once again today: we won’t surrender anything.”
You may read: Three stabbed to death in France ‘terror attack’