George Floyd killer Derek Chauvin asks for new trial

George Floyd killer Derek Chauvin asks for new trial
Derek Chauvin, former Minneapolis police officer listens as the verdict is read in his trial. Photograph: AP
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: The former Minneapolis police officer convicted of murdering African American George Floyd, has asked a judge for a new trial, according to a court document filed Tuesday.

Eric Nelson, the attorney of Derek Chauvin, said his client had been deprived of a fair trial, adding that there had been errors of law and prosecutorial and jury misconduct at trial and that the verdict was contrary to law.

Nelson cited many reasons in his request for a new trial for Mr Chauvin, including allegations of prosecutorial and jury misconduct.

Nelson also said judge Peter Cahill, who presided over the trial, had abused his discretion when the judge denied an earlier request for a new trial based on publicity during the proceedings, which Nelson said threatened the fairness of the trial.

The move of asking a new trial comes two weeks after the former police officer, a white veteran of the police force, was found guilty of second- and third-degree murder and manslaughter in Floyd’s killing.

A 12-member jury swiftly and unanimously found 45-year-old Chauvin guilty on all three counts he faced, following three weeks of testimony from 45 witnesses, including bystanders, medical experts and police officials.

The rare verdict against a police officer is considered a milestone in the fraught racial history of the US and a rebuke of law enforcement’s treatment of Black Americans.

An attorney for the Floyd family, Ben Crump, called the verdict “a turning point in American history for accountability of law enforcement” at the time.

In a confrontation captured on video, Derek Chauvin, pushed his knee into the neck of Floyd, a 46-year-old Black man, for more than nine minutes on 25 May 2020.

You may read: Biden aims to expand vaccines for adults and children