Daily US Times: Indian and Chinese troops have reportedly clashed again in a disputed border area in Sikkim, with injuries on both sides, Indian media say.
The incident took place last Wednesday in north Sikkim. India’s army said in a statement that there had been a “minor” incident that had been “resolved”.
Tensions are high along the world’s longest disputed border between the two countries. Both sides claim large areas of territory.
Last June, at least 20 Indian soldiers died in a skirmish in the Ladakh area.
The latest incident happened at Naku La in north Sikkim, the media reports said. Sikkim is an Indian state sandwiched between Nepal and Bhutan, about 2,500km (1,500 miles) east of the Ladakh area.
Indian officials said a Chinese patrol tried to enter Indian territory and was forced back.
An Indian army statement played down the clash between the soldiers, saying there “was a minor face-off at Naku La area of North Sikkim on 20 January 2021 and the same was resolved by local commanders as per established protocols”.
One source told the Times of India that both sides brought in reinforcements after a “brawl” but there was no gunfire and the situation was under control.
Zhao Lijian, China’s foreign ministry spokesman, did not give details of the incident, but said China’s troops were “committed to upholding peace” and urged India to “refrain from actions that might escalate or complicate the situation along the border”.
The editor-in-chief of Global Times, China’s state-affiliated media, tweeted there was “no record of this clash in the patrol log of the Chinese side”.
You may read: White House begins talks with lawmakers on Covid relief