Daily US Times: On Saturday, the Indonesian navy declared its missing submarine had sunk and cracked open, killing all 53 crew members aboard, after finding items from the submarine over the past two days.
Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said the presence of debris and an oil slick near the site where the submarine’s last dive on Wednesday off the Bali island were clear proof the KRI Nanggala 402 sank.
Earlier, Indonesia considered the submarine to be only missing.
In a press conference in Bali, Navy Chief Yudo Margono said: “If it’s an explosion, it will be in pieces. The cracks happened gradually in some parts when it went down from 300 meters to 400 meters to 500 meters … If there was an explosion, it would be heard by the sonar.”
The Indonesian navy previously said it believes the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700 meters, much deeper than its collapse depth of 200 meters, at which point water pressure would be greater than the hull could withstand.
The cause of the disappearance of the vessel was still uncertain. The navy had previously said an electrical failure could have left it unable to execute emergency procedures to resurface.
Margono said that in the past two days, searchers found a grease bottle believed to be used to oil the periscope, parts of a torpedo straightener, debris from prayer rugs and a broken piece from a coolant pipe that was refitted on the submarine in South Korea in 2012.
Margono said at the press conference: “With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the ‘sub miss’ phase to ‘sub sunk.’”
The found items were displayed in the press conference.