Daily US Times: An Indonesian navy submarine that sank off the coast of the Bali island on Wednesday has been found split into three pieces on the sea bed, authorities say.
All the 53 crew of the vessel have been confirmed dead.
Navy officials said they had received signals from the sub’s location more than 800m deep early on Sunday.
An underwater rescue vehicle loaned by Singapore was sent down to get photos of the wreckage.
The KRI Nanggala submarine disappeared after requesting permission to dive during a torpedo drill. The reason for its sinking is unclear yet.
Sunday’s statement came a day after the Indonesian military confirmed that debris from the vessel, including oil and prayer mats, had been found in the area where it went missing.
Yudo Margono, Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff, said more items from the vessel had been recovered, including crew safety suits and an anchor.
He told reporters on Sunday: “The KRI Nanggala is divided into three parts, the hull of the ship, the stern of the ship, and the main parts are all separated, with the main part found cracked.”
Hadi Tjahjanto, The head of Indonesia’s military, confirmed that there was no chance of finding any of the crew alive.
He said: “With deep sadness I can say that all 53 personnel on board have died.”
Experts had said earlier that the depth at which the navy vessel was found was well beyond its survivable limit and it was only carrying enough oxygen for three days.
Indonesian President Joko Widodo described the crew as Indonesia’s “best patriots”, adding: “All Indonesians convey their deep sadness over this incident, especially to the families of the submarine crew.”