Daily US Times: The Indonesian navy has said a submarine named KRI Nanggala-402 has gone missing with 53 people on board.
The submarine was conducting a drill north of the Bali island on Wednesday, but it failed to report back and contact was lost.
Indonesia’s military chief said warships had been dispatched to find the the German-made vessel.
Officials have called on Singapore and Australia to help in the search. The countries have not publicly commented yet.
The submarine is thought to have disappeared in waters about 60 miles off the coast of Bali early on Wednesday morning.
First Admiral Julius Widjojono told AFP news agency: “[The navy] is currently searching for it. We know the area but it’s quite deep.”
Indonesian navy official Julius Widjojono said he suspected the submarine had descended to a depth of 600-700 metres, according to CNN Indonesia.
The submarine is one of five submarines operated by Indonesia.
According to Reuters, it was made in the late 1970s, and underwent a two-year refit in South Korea that was completed in 2012.
A navy spokesman said that it is the first time Indonesia has lost one of its submarines.
But similar incidents have happened elsewhere in the world. An Argentine military submarine went missing in 2017 in the southern Atlantic with 44 crew on board.
A year later, its wreck was located, and officials confirmed that the velles had imploded.
You may read: Biden’s climate summit to push for ‘immediate’ action