More than 130 killed in militant attack in Burkina Faso

More than 130 killed in village raid
The Burkinabe army has been struggling to contain militant violence. Source: AFP
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: Armed men in Burkina Faso have killed over 132 people in an attack on a village, making the country’s worst attack in recent years, the government says.

The local market and homes were burned during the overnight raid on Solhan.

No group has said it was behind the violence, but Islamist attacks are increasingly common in Burkina Faso, especially in border regions.

The UN chief António Guterres said he was “outraged” by the incident.

Mr Guterres “strongly condemns the heinous attack and underscores the urgent need for the international community to redouble support to member states in the fight against violent extremism and its unacceptable human toll,” a spokesperson of him said.

Roch Kabore, the Burkinabe President, declared three days of national mourning saying, in a tweet, that “we must stand united against the forces of evil”.

He added that the security forces are currently looking for the perpetrators.

At least 14 people were reported to have been killed in another attack on Friday night in the village of Tadaryat, about 150km (93 miles) to the north of Solhan.

Last month, 30 people died in another attack in the east of Burkina Faso.

The West African country is facing a deepening security crisis, like many of its neighbours, as armed groups carry out raids and kidnappings across much of the region.

The Burkinabe army launched a large-scale operation in May in response to a resurgence of militant attacks. Despite this, the security forces are struggling to prevent the violence that has forced more than a million people from their homes over the past two years.

You may read: Judge overturns California’s assault weapons ban