Daily US Times: The Nigerian government has said more than 300 schoolboys who were abducted last week by armed men have been released.
In an announcement on Nigerian state TV, NTA, the country’s northwest state of Katsina Governor Aminu Bello Masari said the 344 boarding school students were turned over to security officials and were being brought to the state capital, where they will get physical examinations before being reunited with their families.
Masari said: “I think we can say … we have recovered most of the boys, if not all of them.”
He did not disclose if the Nigerian government paid any ransom.
A statement fro President Muhammadu Buhari said the President welcomed their release, calling it “a big relief to their families, the entire country and to the international community.”
Amid an outcry in Nigeria over insecurity in the north, President Buhari noted his administration’s successful efforts to secure the release of previously abducted students. The Nigerian President added that the government “is acutely aware of its responsibility to protect the life and property of the Nigerians.”
“We have a lot of work to do, especially now that we have reopened the borders,” he said, acknowledging that the Northwest region “presents a problem” the administration “is determined to deal with.”
Extremist group Boko Haram claimed responsibility for last Friday’s abduction of the schoolboys from the Government Science Secondary School in the Katsina State village of Kankara.