Daily US Times: US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said that Washington is “horrified” by Saturday’s killings, which is deadliest by far, in Myanmar security forces.
Reportedly of more than 100 people were killed by security forces in Myanmar during protests on the deadliest day since last month’s military coup of the country.
Mr Blinken said that the killings show “that the junta will sacrifice the lives of the people to serve the few,” Mr Blinken said.
“The courageous people of Burma reject the military’s reign of terror,” he said.
The US embassy in Myanmar previously said security forces were “murdering unarmed civilians”, while the European Union delegation to Myanmar said Saturday – officially Armed Forces Day – would “stay engraved as a day of terror and dishonour”.
Antonio Guterres, the UN Secretary-General, said he was “deeply shocked”, and British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab called it a “new low”.
The lethal crackdown against civilians among them were children – came as protesters defied warnings and took to the streets in cities and towns.
The Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP) monitoring group confirmed at least 91 deaths by the security forces while local media put the figure higher.
A resident named Thu Ya Zaw told Reuters news agency in the central town of Myingyan: “They are killing us like birds or chickens, even in our homes. We will keep protesting regardless.”
The latest violence took the number killed since 1 February coup to more than 400.
The military seized control of the country after an election which the main political leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy (NLD) party won by a landslide.