Daily US Times: On Monday, North Korea accused the United Nations Security Council of double standards as its sanctions committee criticised the country’s recent missile test as a violation of UN resolutions.
Last week, North Korea launched a new type of tactical short-range ballistic missile, prompting the US to request a gathering of the UN Security Council’s (UNSC) sanctions committee.
At the committee meeting on Friday, the US denouncing the test as a violation of UN resolutions, called for imposing additional sanctions and tightening the implementation of existing measures, according to Jo Chol Su, director-general for international organisations at North Korea’s foreign ministry.
Jo said the meeting was “designed to negate the right of our state to self-defence”. He also warned that it would devise a “countermeasure”.
In a statement carried by the official KCNA news agency, Jo accused: “It constitutes a denial of sovereign state and an apparent double standard that UNSC takes issue, on the basis of the UN ‘resolutions’ – direct products of the US hostile policy.”
North Korea said on Friday that it had launched a new type of short-range “tactical projectile” able to carry a payload of 2.5 tonnes, a day after the United States, South Korea and Japan said that weapons tests had taken place off the country’s northeast coast.
Tokyo said the weapons tested were ballistic missiles, which landed in the sea. Pyongyang is banned from testing under UN sanctions.
The North avoided using the words “missile” or “ballistic” in its confirmation on the test, which was heavily criticised.
North Korea said the response to the test by the US President Joe Biden administration revealed its “deep-seated hostility” to North Korea.
You may read: Mozambique: Dozens dead after militant assault on Palma