Daily US Times: Naomi Osaka has withdrawn from the French Open after the controversy over her refusal to engage with the media at the tournament.
In a tweet announcing the move, world number two also said she had “suffered long bouts of depression” since winning her first Grand Slam title in 2018.
The Japanese tennis star said last week she would not do news conferences at Roland Garros to protect her mental health.
“I never wanted to be a distraction,” the 23-year-old said.
On Sunday, the four-time major winner won her opening match against Romania’s Patricia Maria Tig in straight sets and was fined $15,000 for not doing post-match media.
A joint statement from Grand Slam organisers said later that day Naomi Osaka could face expulsion from the tournament if she continued to avoid them.
That led to the player announcing her withdrawal from the tournament on Monday, saying she was going to “take some time away from the court now”.
Osaka said: “When the time is right I really want to work with the Tour to discuss ways we can make things better for the players, press and fans.”
Gilles Moretton, French Tennis Federation president, said the withdrawal of the second seed was “unfortunate”.
“We are sorry and sad for Naomi. We wish her the best and quickest possible recovery, and we look forward to having Naomi at our tournament next year,” Moretton added.