Netanyahu says militants ‘set back by years’ by Israeli bombing

Netanyahu says militants 'set back by years' by Israeli bombing
There were protests, some of them violent, across the West Bank. Source: Reuters
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has said Israel’s nine-day bombardment of Gaza has “set Hamas back by many years.”

Two foreign farm workers were killed by rockets fired by Hamas into southern Israel on Tuesday.

Israeli military continued its air strikes on Gaza. At least three Palestinians were killed by Israeli police during protests in the West Bank, near Ramallah.

Diplomatic efforts by world leaders to end the violence have met with little success.

France has filed a draft resolution with the UN Security Council, in co-ordination with Jordan and Egypt, calling for a ceasefire.

Israel briefly opened a border crossing into Gaza earlier on Tuesday to allow a convoy of aid to enter. However, the crossing was closed again after it came under fire from Palestinian rockets and mortars.

The Israeli Prime Minister said Hamas, had been dealt “unexpected blows” and that operations would “continue for as long as it takes to restore calm” for all Israeli citizens. Mr Netanyahu said militants ‘set back by years’ by Israeli bombing.

At least 215 people, including almost 100 children and women, have been killed in Gaza so far, according to its health ministry.

Meanwhile, Israel’s medical service says 12 people, including two children, have been killed.

On Tuesday Israel said in a statement that at least 150 militants were among those killed in Gaza. Hamas does not give casualty figures for fighters.

At the start of the conflict, Israel estimated that the two Palestinian militant factions had an arsenal of about 12,000 rockets or mortars in Gaza.

You may read: Israel launches new strikes on Gaza as calls for ceasefire grow