No police officers charged over Jacob Blake shooting

No police officers charged over Jacob Blake shooting
Jacob Blake (left) was shot several times in the back. Source: BENCRUMP.COM
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: No police officer has been charged over the shooting of Jacob Blake in Kenosha, Wisconsin – a shooting which sparked protests in the US.

Mr Blake, a black man, was left paralysed from the waist down after officer shot him several times in the back as he got into a car where his three children were sitting.

The shooting of Mr Blake, which was captured on video by a bystander, by white policeman Rusten Sheskey on 23 August aggravated racial tensions.

Days later, two people died and one was injured in another shooting in Kenosha.

Kyle Rittenhouse, who is now18-year-old, denied six charges including first-degree reckless homicide over those shootings when he appeared at a virtual arraignment with his lawyer, Mark Richards, on Tuesday.

He was among many armed civilians who descended on the city in answer to calls from right-wing militia after Jacob Blake was shot.

Michael Graveley, Kenosha County District Attorney, announced that no criminal charges would be brought against Officer Sheskey.

The district attorney said he “would have to disprove the clear expression of these officers that they had to fire a weapon to defend themselves”.

“I do not believe the state… would be able to prove that the privilege of self-defence is not available,” district attorney said.

Mr Graveley added that he had informed Jacob Blake of the news before announcing his decision publicly.

The police union in Kenosha said Mr Blake had been armed with a knife and Police Officer Sheskey had ordered him several times to drop it but he had refused.

You may read: Georgia Senate election on knife-edge in vote count