Daily US Times: President Joe Biden has rescinded the national emergency order used to funds Trump’s border wall.
In a letter to Congress on Thursday, the US president wrote that the order was “unwarranted” and said that no further tax dollars will be spent on the wall.
Donald Trump declared a state of emergency over the southern border in 2019, which allowed him to bypass Congress and use military funds for its construction.
When Donald Trump left office, about $25bn had been spent on the border wall project.
The announcement from Mr Biden is the latest in a series of executive orders that have rolled back key parts of Mr Trump’s agenda.
Mr Biden signed orders last week seeking to reunite migrant families split up by Trump administration policies, and ordered a probe of his predecessor’s immigration agenda.
In a letter on Thursday, president Biden wrote that he would also seek a review of “all resources appropriated or redirected” to the construction of the wall.
Building a border wall was a signature pledge of Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign.
But the project faced strong opposition from the Democratic-controlled House, and the Republican president announced he would use emergency powers to fund its construction.
An emergency declaration allows United States presidents to circumvent the usual political process and to access military funding.
Various types of fencing totalling 654 miles were already in place before Mr Trump became president in 2017.
During Mr Trump’s his time in office, 80 miles of new barriers were built where there were none before, and almost 400 miles replaced existing parts of the structure.
You may read: ‘Convict Trump or it could happen again,’ trial told