Soldiers in Guinea claim to have seized power in coup attempt

Guinean soldiers claim to have seized power in coup attempt
Guinean soldiers drive through the capital, Conakry, on Sunday as heavy gunfire was heard near the presidential palace. Source: Getty Images
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: An elite army unit has announced it has seized power in Guinea, deposed the president, Alpha Condé, and imposed an indefinite curfew in the country.

On Sunday morning, after heavy gunfire was heard near the presidential palace in the capital, Conakry, soldiers announced Guinea’s leadership had been deposed in the latest political upheaval to beset the mineral-rich and impoverished nation.

Col Mamadi Doumbouya, the leader of the apparent coup and head of the military unit, sat draped in the west African nation’s flag during a brief address on the national broadcaster, Radio Television Guinea. Col Doumbouya said that the country’s constitution and parliament had been suspended and the borders shut.

Criticising the state of the country under the 83-year-old president, the coup leader siad: “We are taking our destiny in our own hands. The personalisation of political life is over. We will no longer entrust politics to one man, we will entrust it to the people.”

The soldiers announced a nationwide curfew later on Sunday “until further notice”, saying it would convene Condé’s cabinet ministers at 11:00am on Monday.

The statement says: “Any refusal to attend will be considered a rebellion,” adding that the country’s governors and other top administrators would be replaced by the military.

On Sunday, the UN secretary-general António Guterres condemned the apparent seizure of power on Guinea by the military unit.

He said: “I strongly condemn any takeover of the government by force of the gun and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Condé.”

You may read: US tally misses hundreds left in Afghanistan, rescue groups say