Daily US Times: US President Joe Biden said that it is still possible to find survivors in the rubble of a Miami building that collapsed last week.
Speaking after meeting families of people who died or are still missing, the US president said they were going “through hell” and that federal funding for the rescue effort would continue for a month.
Mr Biden also said it was essential to find out what caused the collapse.
Eighteen bodies have been recovered so far from the rubble but 145 people are still unaccounted for.
On Thursday, rescue efforts resumed after a 15-hour halt amid concerns about the stability of the remaining structure of the Champlain Towers South. Since the first hours after the disaster, nobody has been pulled alive from the rubbler.
Daniella Levine Cava, Miami-Dade County Mayor, said officials were planning for the possible demolition of the remaining structure, and a decision would need to be made “extremely carefully and methodically,” given how it would affect the search-and-rescue mission.
Addressing relatives in a private meeting, Joe Biden drew his own experience of grief as he offered his prayers and support. In a video posted on social media, Mr Biden was seen speaking in sombre tones about the death of his wife and daughter in a car accident.
Later in a news conference, the president said the “whole nation” was mourning with the families, and that he was “holding out hope” that survivors could be found.
He said; “They’re praying and pleading that ‘God, let there be a miracle’. There is still a possibility that someone could be alive, that someone is breathing.”
You may read: Children found beneath Florida building