TikTok shrugs off Trump administration attack with expansion plans

TikTok shrugs off Trump administration attack with expansion plans
TikTok is being forced to sell its US operations to an American company or face a ban. Source: GETTY IMAGES
2 Min Read

Daily US Times: TikTok is continuing to expand despite coming under attack from the Trump administration.

The Chinese micro-video sharing app has announced a tie-up with online retailer Shopify to help businesses create video ads to promote their products.

A spokesman told the BBC that the Chinese-owned firm also plans to take on around 3,000 engineers over the next three years.

TikTok is being forced to sell its US operations to an American company or face a ban.

The firm’s Chinese parent company ByteDance will hire the engineers mostly in Canada, Singapore, Europe and the US “to support our rapid global growth,” it said.

The company currently employs about 1,000 engineers outside of China, with nearly half of them based in California.

It emerged last month that ByteDance plans to invest billions of dollars and recruit hundreds of employees in Singapore, which has been selected as its South East Asia headquarters.

Trump administration says Chinese-owned social media platforms such as TikTok and Tencent’s WeChat pose a national security threat to the US, claiming users’ data can be accessed by the Chinese government.

Both WeChat and TikTok have repeatedly denied these allegations.

TikTok continues to push ahead with its hiring expansion plan despite the US uncertainty, and moves into e-commerce.

Canada-based Shopify said on Wednesday that it was tying up with TikTok in the US to allow businesses to create and track video ads.

Shopify said the partnership allows its one million merchants to sell products in the form of “shoppable video ads”.

You may read: TikTok ban ruling to be made after US election