Daily US Times, Washington: US president Doland Trump officially launched ‘The US Space Force’, focused on US warfare in space.
Newly created military force falls under the US Air Force, which is the first in its like in more than 70 years.
Trump launched this military service at an army base near Washington. He described space as ‘the world’s newest war-fighting domain’.
He said, ‘amid grave threats to our national security, American superiority in space is absolutely vital. We’re leading, but we’re not leading by enough, but very shortly we’ll be leading by a lot. The Space Force will help us deter aggression and control the ultimate high ground.’
The funding for the US Space Force was confirmed on Friday when the president signed the $738bn annual US military budget. But its initial funding of $40 million will be for its first year. Space Force would comprise around 16,000 Air Force and civilian personnel.
The new military service will not put soldiers into orbit but will protect US assets as the country has hundreds of satellites used for communication and surveillance in the space.
US military chiefs and Vice President previously said both China and Russia had airborne lasers and anti-satellite missiles that the US needed to counter.
Vice President Mike Pence previously said, ‘The space environment has fundamentally changed in the last generation. What was once peaceful and uncontested is now crowded and adversarial.’
Space Force will build on the work of the existing US Space Command (SpaceCom), which was created in August to handle the US military’s space operations.
Russian President Vladimir Putin warns that if the US expands its space programme such a massive scale, Russia will bound to give a response. Putin claimed earlier this month the US leadership openly considers space as a military theatre and plans to conduct operations there.