Daily US Times: The US expressed its concern after the Taliban unveiled Afghanistan’s new all-male interim government with figures linked to attacks on American forces.
The US State Department said in a statement that it was “assessing” Tuesday’s announcement.
Mullah Mohammad Hassan Akhund is the Prime Minister of the cabinet, who is on a UN blacklist, while another figure, Sirajuddin Haqqani, is wanted by the FBI.
Three people were shot dead at a protest on Tuesday in the western city of Herat.
Medical workers said they were killed when Taliban fighters opened fire.
The Taliban also fired warning shots in capital Kabul as hundreds of people demonstrated in the streets.
US Senator Lindsey Graham described the new interim government as a “line-up of thugs and butchers”. Mr Graham is one of a number of senior Republicans to condemn as “ill-advised” Democratic President Biden’s decision to withdraw from Afghanistan.
The Taliban government faces tough challenges in the conflict-torn country, not least stabilising the economy and gaining international recognition. The group was also on Tuesday declared Afghanistan an “Islamic Emirate” –
The Taliban had previously said they wanted to form an inclusive government.
The US State Department said in its statement: “We note the announced list of names consists exclusively of individuals who are members of the Taliban or their close associates and no women.”
The State Department said that America would “judge the Taliban by its actions, not words.”
You may read: Hardliners get key posts in new Taliban government