Daily US Times: The US military unsuccessfully targeted another Irani General in Yemen, the same night they killed Qasem Soleimani. An official with the knowledge of the incident and another source familiar says.
The Washington Post (WaPo) first reported about the operation.
The sources did not tell any further about how the US carried out the operation. The US officials said there is no plan of operations against the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps-Quds force leadership at this time.
No US official say any further information about the unsuccessful target.
A Pentagon spokeswoman Cmdr. Rebecca Rebarich acknowledged that they saw the WaPo report but declined to say any detail information.
In a statement to CNN, she said: “We have seen the report of a January 2 airstrike in Yemen, which is long-understood as a safe space for terrorists and other adversaries to the United States. The Department of Defense does not discuss alleged operations in the region.”
What does the report say?
The Washington Post reported that the US targeted Abdul Reza Shahlai, a financier and key commander of Iran’s Quds Force, which is an elite wing of the Iranian military operating throughout the Middle East.
In December last year, the US State Department announced “up to $15 million for information on the financial activities, networks, and associates of Abdul Reza Shahlai.”
This news came when Trump administration continued to defend the US strike against Soleimani. But lack of evidence fueled lingering skepticism about whether the strike was justified.
The US announced fresh sanctions against Iran that were designed to “stop the Iranian regime’s global terrorist activities.”
US Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said the penalties would affect Iran’s construction, manufacturing, and mining industries.
In a statement, Trump described Iran as the “world’s leading sponsor of terrorism” and vowed to counter Iranian threats “until the Iranian regime changes its behavior”.